Saturday, March 6, 2010

An honest to god plasma fire in the load-lock chamber

I think the gas pressure must have just been too high allowing the more energetic ions to jump the ion trap and start a self sustaining plasma fire in the main part of the chamber. The whole chamber was lit up with the plasma. It's probably pretty clean now. I could see a purple jet from the plasma chamber into the LL chamber.

Most of the heating happened inside the turbopump. The fire only quenched when I flooded the chamber with nitrogen. Exhaust smells like burning semiconductor!

It's a shame I couldn't recover the chamber pressure without venting I would have liked to have seen what came of that. Maybe I can try to recreate the conditions tomorrow. The trouble is that hydorgen pumps very poorly and pumping speed scales non-linearly with pressure so it is a bastard to balance.

Chamber should be still clean. See what pressure is at tomorrow.

Plasma Jockey, signing out...

No comments:

Post a Comment