Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Cool Hand Luke

War hero Luke is put in a country jail for a drunken crime. His devil may care attitude wins him the respect of his fellow convicts and eventually their hopes. But the hope of others is a heavy burden to bear. Early on he talks to his mother who is dying. She apologises for giving him the burden of her love.

Mother: Why, we always thought you was strong enough to carry it. Was we wrong?
Luke: I don't know. Well, things are just never the way they seem, Arletta, you know that. A man's just gotta go his own way.

I am sure there is little i can say about this film that hasn't been said better before. The characters have the familiarity of a western and the depth of a drama. The metaphor is maybe of the fighting American spirit and the close of an era. The statement is very anti-establishment.
Right at the end Luke sums up with this monologue:

You've got to admit You ain't dealt me no cards in a long time. It's beginning to look like You got things fixed so I can't never win out. Inside, outside, all of them... rules and regulations and bosses. You made me like I am. Now just where am I supposed to fit in? Old Man, I gotta tell You. I started out pretty strong and fast. But it's beginning to get to me. When does it end? What do You got in mind for me? What do I do now?


The the deconstruction of a man, the burden of hope and the breakable, unbreakable spirit. Lots to think about.

It seems that with film, the further back you go the more depth the characters have and the more time is spent exploring the subtleties of this depth. But if you go back to a certain point the medium of film is too young to support it. So, I would like to know exactly what point in history that was? Can we call it the golden age of hollywood?

Anyway, so much popular culture has sprung from this film. What we have here is failure to communicate; no man can eat 50 eggs; taking the shirt off now boss... and i think i heard the old theme music to the Channel 9 news.

Maybe i am rating this above my level of enjoyment, but not above the level of reflection it has afforded.

4 1/2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment