Friday, July 3, 2009

If an idea is any good it is on the verge of being stupid.

Well i have been buying up 2nd hand DVDs from rental places and also from Cash Converters lately, it lets me buy them for 3-4 euro each and they generally have an interesting random selection which forces me to go and choose titles that i would not usually choose. Usually whne choosing a movie I am overcome with laziness and i dont want to watch something that would make me think. I dont know why that is. Something male I guess. But I often go for big budget movies with action... explosions.
Come to think of it, it is probably something to do with the way that cinema is seen. It is only really those big budget action movies that get a major release...or are something that you would want to get gouged at the cinema to go an see. Anything else i always say to myslef... i will watch that in my own home. it doesn't gain anything form being on the big screen. So there I go. I have answered my own question.

But this trend of buying shitty action movies is starting to drop off. As the DVDs on my shelf pile up abd i find better places to buy dvd's from they are getting a little bit better.
All this has preamble been leading up to me mentioning the movie I saw last night. The Science of Sleep by Michel Gondry. Very good. Totallly enjoyable. It is often that i find myself scrutinizing a movies themes and technique and it gets in the way of the story. In the case of this movie, it was just confusing enough that i gave up on the analysis but still accessable enough that i was engrossed. A sort of romance story about a strange guy who has difficulty distinguishing his dreams from reality. It really got a hold on that kind of out of control familiarity of dreams...

I usually hate the extra things they bundle on a DVD but for once i watched them.

No comments:

Post a Comment