Thursday, July 9, 2009

Sat-bitch

First post of the day. First page on slashdot is this article about the use of satnav destroying local knowledge about the roads. It talks about how the first real usable satnav was a british invention. I suppose that explains why the first time i found it necessary was while trying to navigate the barely controlled mania of the British roads system. Or maybe that was because driving in England was the first time i had driven away from home soil?

Anyway it reminded me of one occasion time while driving to see my extended family for christmas, the satnav was a bit slow to update and i was a bit slow to respond. This ended up with a 10 mile detour on the m11 to turn around. I was absolutely furious. I still cant believe it. I spoke more harshly to jules than i had for a long time. All because of a mistake and this little thing that tells me where to go. Now ultimately it is a small price to paty for the confidence to always know where you are going. But it is amazing how such a little thing can get you so infuriated.

This article. Which by the way is a puff piece for a new book discussed this briefly saying it was a male thing to get angry with the authoritarian navigator. So maybe i am not alone. Maybe the voices of the navigator should me more sexy. Guys will be less likely to get angry at that. who knows. Like all technology though, the satnav needs a better human interface.

No comments:

Post a Comment